The Leadership students are excited to share our next Spirit Day on Friday, February 9th with the theme being the 1980s. Students can come to school dressed for a fun day of looking fabulous by being bold and dramatic! Students will be awarded house points for their Sports Day Team for dressing up.
Examples of glamorous clothing:
- Fluorescent colours
- Big hair
- Leg warmers
- Puffed sleeves
- Hairbands….and this is just some examples!
If students would like to earn additional House Points this Valentine’s Day, we ask that they come to school wearing either: Pink, Red, or White. They could also come to school wearing clothing that has hearts on it! Students will earn house points for their Sports Day Team by wearing any of these colours!
The final activity that the Leadership students have planned beginning Monday, February 12th till Friday, February 14th students will have the opportunity to write a message on a Heart Post-it about what they love! This is an opportunity for them to share what is important to them! The Leadership students will be providing classroom teachers with a heart post-it for students to share their thoughts. Once students have completed their note, they will be able to put it up on the walls near the office. We look forward in seeing our main entrance filled with notes of what is important to all of us!
Hello Suncrest Kindergarten 2024/2025 Families! Please click the link to get more information about the information meeting on Thursday, February 8th.
Each day of the week we will discuss and celebrate all the ways literacy skills can ACTIVELY be used to build creative-thinking skills, connect with others, make change, communicate ideas, and have fun!
Themes that will guide discussion and activities during the week are:
- Monday January 29th in class, students will receive a Family Reading Bingo handout to complete with parents at home, to encourage reading across the school. Complete these bingo handouts and return them to your teacher by Friday February 2nd to be entered for a prize!
- We will also have a contest to Guess the Favourite Book of Staff at Suncrest! Book guessing ballots will be handed out in class on Monday January 29th. See the book options on the front bulletin board by the office! Each ballot turned in to your teacher by Friday February 2nd will be entered for a prize, too!
- On Friday February 2nd, wear your pajamas, bring your favourite book to share, and bring a flashlight to read in the dark, as we will have fun sharing our books and reading in the dark on our last day!”
Happy New Year Suncrest!
Included is a Referral Form that can be faxed or mailed to your local health unit. Once received, a staff member will follow up with the referral.
- Healthy Kids Program – children under the age of 19 years may be eligible for basic dental services.
- Canada Dental Benefit – children under the age of 12 years who do not have access to a private dental insurance plan.
- UBC Dentistry – offers a free dental program for children 12 years and younger. Please see the attached application form.
- Affordable dentistry options for children – Fraser Health Authority
Students will enjoy a pancake breakfast with their Buddy Class on Thursday, December 21st . Big buddies are asked to sit with their little buddies so that they can help them. Students can come to school wearing their pajamas and can bring a stuffy if they like! We can’t wait!
Thank you Suncrest PAC!
This year’s winter musical is titled, “Chopped Holiday Challenge” and is a play on hit TV shows from the Food Network. It is another sizzling production written and arranged by Dr. Yanko, and is stuffed with puns, famous characters, and hit tunes throughout the ages.
Schedule: Our musical will have two matinee and evening performances in the school gym. Please see the schedule below to see which night(s) your child’s class will be performing. Students should arrive at the school at 6:00pm in their classrooms for evening performances. It is important that all students attend their performance night as this is a culmination of their classroom work, and every child is important in their class performance.
Tuesday December 19th 1:30pm & 6:30pm
Divisions 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 11, 14
Wednesday December 20th 1:30pm & 6:30pm
Divisions 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13
*There will be a finale at the end of each concert in which all students will be involved.
Protect children from respiratory illnesses this winter
Respiratory illnesses tend to increase as we spend more time indoors. Common colds, the flu and COVID-19 spread through tiny droplets as people who are sick breathe, talk, cough or sneeze. When other people touch these droplets and then their eyes, mouth or nose before washing their hands they may become sick.
There are a handful of steps both children and adults can take to protect themselves and limit the spread of respiratory illnesses:
· Wash your hands often with soap and water. Use alcohol-based sanitizer if soap and water is not available.
· Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, mouth and nose.
· Cough and sneeze into your elbow.
· If you have symptoms, stay home and stay away from people at higher risk of serious illness.
Flu and COVID-19 vaccinations The best way to protect others and reduce the risk of getting sick with the flu and COVID-19 is to get immunized. The flu and COVID-19 vaccines are safe, effective, and available for free to anyone aged six months and older.
It is much safer to get the vaccines than to get the illnesses. Register your children with the Get Vaccinated system so that you can be invited to book their vaccinations when they are due. Learn more here: https://ow.ly/5WWe50PYIYC
Suncrest’s Pumpkin Patch event is happening this Friday, October 27th! Join us for a day of pumpkin picking and hot chocolate, generously provided by our PAC. We can’t wait for some autumn day fun! More information in our Suncrest October Newsletter 2023.
Dates to Remember:
- October 19 – Spirit Day
- October 20 – Provincial Pro-D Day (no school for students)
- October 27 – Photo Retakes & Pumpkin Patch
- October 31 – Halloween Parade
- November 10 – Rememberance Day Assembly @ 11 am
- November 13 – No School
- November 21 – Math Games Night
- November 24 – Professional Day/No School for students
The 2023 Terry Fox School Run is set for this month and we are so excited to be taking part! Our event will be taking place on Tuesday, September 26th at 2:00 pm. We need your help to boost our student’s fundraising. This event supports vital cancer research while also building incredible school spirit for our students. Let’s all show how incredible and generous our school community is and work to reach the fundraising goal of $1000.
The Terry Fox Foundation has created an online fundraising page customized for our school. Don’t delay, let’s start fundraising today!
Donate online at: https://schools.terryfox.ca/32015
- Click the link above to donate or search for our school name at terryfox.org
- Receipts are issued immediately to donors by email from the Terry Fox Foundation
We are very excited to be a part of this year’s Terry Fox event. This is our opportunity to “Try Like Terry” and go the distance for this year’s event. Please join us to support cancer research while building incredible school spirit for all of our students. Thank you in advance for your support!